Connect with us

Business

Border reopening: Nigeria secures $1.3 billion funding for rail link to Niger Republic 

Published

on

Senator Said Ahmed Alkali

The Minister of Transportation, Senator Said Ahmed Alkali has announced that Nigeria has secured $1.3 billion in financing to finish a railway line linking Kano, the northern region’s biggest city, with Maradi in Niger. 

Senator Said Ahmed Alkali, the Minister of Transportation, revealed this in Abuja on Tuesday, stating that the China Civil Engineering Construction Company (CCECC) will fund 85% of the project, with the remaining 15% coming from the Africa Development Bank (ADfB).  

This is coming on the heels of the recent directive of President Bola Tinubu to reopen both land and air borders connecting Nigeria to the francophone country, Niger  

The statement made available by Special Assistant (Public Affairs) to the Minister, Jamilu Ja’afaru said:  

Earlier, ThePressNG reported that President Bola Tinubu directed the immediate re-opening of Nigeria’s land and air borders with the Republic of Niger. 

Trending